Degree Options

Single Major, Double Major, and Major/Minor

As an honours program, the Criminology degree may be taken as a single major, double major, or a major/minor. The number of total credits (120) is exactly the same for each degree combination. The only difference is that you will have fewer electives with the majority of your non-Criminology credits concentrated in a second subject area. In the case of a double major, you will have 48 Criminology credits and between 42 and 48 credits in your second major. For a major/minor, you will have 48 Criminology credits and 30 credits in your minor.

There are several benefits to pursuing a double major or major/minor. First, it will allow you to claim expertise in two fields rather than only one thus helping to distinguish yourself from other applicants whether in the context of law school, graduate school, or the job market. Second, a second major or minor demonstrates an ability to think across disciplines, an analytical skill set which may be valuable in your future career or graduate work. Finally, a double major may help to expose you to different career paths and future educational opportunities.

Criminology can be paired with just about any degree program at York. Popular second majors for our students include: Sociology; Psychology; History; Philosophy; Political Science; Anthropology; and English. Criminology can also be combined with one of the other ten programs in the Department of Science including: (1) African Studies; (2) Health and Society; (3) International Development Studies; (4) Latin American and Caribbean Studies; (5) Law and Society; (6) South Asian Studies; (7) Urban Studies; and (8) Work and Labour Studies.

If you are interested in pursuing one of these degree combinations, you should consult with an academic advisor in the prospective second major and inquire about: (1) whether it can be combined with a Criminology major; and (2) the specific program requirements. In order to determine whether a prospective second major is right for you, you may also want to select an introductory course (1000-level or 2000-level) in that subject area as part of your first or second year program of study.